Re: Using a macro with FOLD alters FOLD procedure!

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Using a macro with FOLD alters FOLD procedure!
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:35:25 +0100

Rob Browning wrote:
Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

FWIW, I agree.  In 1.7.x I believe we have more of the infrastructure
in place to get this right - by which I mean to signal an error if a
macro is passed in this way.  But (having just tried your tests out on
1.7.x) it's not doing this just yet.

I haven't considered it carefully yet, but if fold's only supposed to
take a procedure for kons, then why not just add a check-arg-type
procedure? call for kons?

We could certainly do this, but I think I remember a thread where it was suggested that we treat any occurrence of a macro in non-car position as an error - which would catch the problem more generally. Am I completely imagining this?

        Neil