Re: Exposing common type wrapping/unwrapping methods

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Exposing common type wrapping/unwrapping methods
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:17:22 -0700

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the input...  */me scratches head* ... this is what the
> heathens call their "DLL hell", right?

Perhaps.  In case it's relevant, I believe this may be why libtool
provides lt_dlmalloc, lt_dlrealloc, and lt_dlfree.  See the libtool
info pages:

 -- Variable: lt_ptr (*) (size_t SIZE) lt_dlmalloc
 -- Variable: lt_ptr (*) (lt_ptr PTR, size_t SIZE) lt_dlrealloc
 -- Variable: void (*) (lt_ptr PTR) lt_dlfree
     These variables are set to `malloc', `realloc' and `free' by
     default, but you can set them to any other functions that provide
     equivalent functionality.  If you change any of these function
     pointers, you will almost certainly need to change all three to
     point into the same malloc library.  Strange things will happen if
     you allocate memory from one library, and then pass it to an
     implementation of `free' that doesn't know what book keeping the
     allocator used.

     You must not modify any of their values after calling any libltdl
     function other than `lt_dlpreopen_default' or the macro
     `LTDL_SET_PRELOADED_SYMBOLS'.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu