Re: Getting scheme error informations when running scheme code from C

From: Alan Grover
Subject: Re: Getting scheme error informations when running scheme code from C
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:33:30 -0400

My comments are for Guile version 1.6.4.

To get a backtrace, you want something that does the same thing as the
--debug option. However:
"Using the debugging evaluator will give you better error messages but
it will slow down execution."
So, you don't want it in production-code.

I believe this will turn on the debug-evaluator at run-time (so the
documentation implies):
        (debug-enable 'debug)
Hope that causes a stack-trace for you. See "Configuration, Features and
Runtime Options" in the documentation, subsection "Debugger Options".

Have you considered using "catch" to catch errors (or "lazy-catch")? You
could wrap your scheme code in a "catch", or use scm_catch. Section "How
to Handle Errors in C Code" has some hints. Lazy-catch lets you capture
the stack.

I don't see a mechanism for adding a "catch" for primitive-load. The
empty documentation for "REPL Hooks" is suggestive. So, use scm_catch,
or "eval" something like:
        (catch #t
                (lambda () (primitive-load ...))
                (lambda (key . args) (deal with error here)))
(of course, you could add a function that does this to the top-level and
just call it.)

You may also find the section "Debugging Infrastructure" interesting. It
talks about decoding the stack, and limiting the backtrace.

Lazy-catch will let you examine the stack as it exists at the time of
the throw/exception. You could dump the stack with "display-backtrace"
or programatically try to find the relevant stack-frame (an interesting
problem since tail calls may-not generate a frame). See section
"Examining the Stack".