Re: PHP to GUILE

From: Vorfeed Canal
Subject: Re: PHP to GUILE
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:43:59 +0400

On 9/26/05, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vorfeed Canal <address@hidden> writes:
>
> With a full path to `load-extension' you can put a module anywhere.

But you can not give control to user then !

> If your code is a package in its own right then this is a good thing,
> so you can be certain to get the right file (ie. whatever crazy
> directory the user might have given).

If you are writing stand-alone package then it can be good thing, yes.
But if you are writing extension module for GUILE... USER or may be
APPLICATION WRITER must be in control, not GUILE!

If you'll run Guile-GNOME's configure without specifying --prefix
you'll see this:

-- cut --
Guile-GNOME requires you to explicitly enter in a prefix when
configuring. This is because the default prefix, /usr/local, is not in
the default guile load path. What you probably want to do is to run

  ./configure --prefix=/usr

so that guile can find the guile-gnome modules when they are installed.

If you choose to install to a prefix that is not in guile's load path,
you will need to modify GUILE_LOAD_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH every time
you run guile. (Which is a pain.)
-- cut --

This means I'm not the only one who feel like this hardcoded path is
not a good solution.