Re: Guile on Windows? (Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile on Windows? (Re: Upcoming 1.6.5 release)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:15:02 +0100

address@hidden (Michael Herstine <address@hidden>) writes:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Sorry to trouble you.  I'm interested in using Guile on Win32, but I'm
> having trouble figuring out what the status there is.  [...]
>
> However, having downloaded 1.6.7, I see no mention of this..
>
> What's the story?

I think the story is basically that it (running Guile on Windows) can
be done, but it's not yet either straightforward or fully integrated
into the standard distro.

I'm broadly aware of three possible approaches.

1. Cygwin.  Guile 1.6.x is available via the standard cygwin setup, so
   you could just use that.

2. Native compilation using MSVC.  This is what I've done, but I
   haven't yet packaged/published the results.  Some things are not
   supported with this approach, like threads and some Posix stuff.

3. Cross-compilation targetting MinGW.  I believe Stefan Jahn has done
   this, and it pretty much just works, but I don't know the details
   myself.

What are you looking to do, more precisely?

Regards,
        Neil