Re: libguile on Windows

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: libguile on Windows
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:37:23 +0100

"Dylan Nicholson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Would there be place or purpose to make publically available a version
> of libguile intended for compiling under MSVC?

As far as the core Guile distribution is concerned, I think it depends
on whether there is any practical difference between an MSVC-compiled
libguile DLL and one produced by the MinGW cross-compiler.  (This is
something I don't understand yet.)

If there isn't, the fact that (AFAIU) the MinGW approach already works
would make it difficult to justify maintaining an MSVC build approach
in the core distribution.

(Of course someone could maintain an MSVC build independently.)

> The only part I'd really like to fix is the snarfing part - it can *in
> principle* be done automatically, although I'm not exactly sure if the
> dependencies would function 100% reliably.
> Even if it's just a static snapshot of 1.6.5 until someone else can be
> bothered to come along and maintain it, there would surely at least be
> one or two other weirdos like me out there that prefer to work with MS
> products than GNU tools...

Even if you are going to compile using MSVC, the most practical way
(that I'm aware of) to do the snarfing is to do a partial build under
Cygwin first.  So GNU tools will always be involved, I think.

Regards,
        Neil