Re: Where to install files?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Where to install files?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:19:19 +0100

> I like this approach quite well.  It's generic, and it can be used
> handle both Guile versioning and module versioning.  Having it in
> `init.scm' or some such rather than hardcoded at configuration time
> sounds like a good idea too.

Thanks.  I'm about to post a slightly modified version, so please let
me know your thoughts on that too.

> Just a couple of notes.  I might look better to use either an alist or
> keywords (like `((:tag "1.6" :dir "/usr..."))') to store this
> information, but this is really nitpicking.

Yes, perhaps, although it would make the sample code in my modified
proposal a bit more complex.

>  As for the contents of this
> list, I believe the `site' and `local' tags should by default be
> configured as `site-MAJOR.MINOR' and `local-MAJOR.MINOR' so that nothing
> ends up being installed in unversioned directories.

Well in general that's exactly the kind of thing that a distribution
or site will be able to decide for themselves, under my scheme, by
modifying the config file.  But are you saying that the default
settings in this file should be

$prefix/share/guile/1.6
$prefix/share/guile/site-1.6
$prefix/share/guile

instead of

$prefix/share/guile/1.6
$prefix/share/guile/site
$prefix/share/guile

?

I think there's a place for both unversioned and versioned site and
local directories, because its not that hard to kind code that handles
multiple Guile versions in the same files.

Thanks for your input,

       Neil