Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: 13 Oct 2005 14:40:14 -0400

We need remove-load-path too, for cleanup.

It's not clear to me how the default version of config shows up in a
fresh guile build/install.  I'd argue that only the traditional three
dirs in prefix should be there by default.  Perhaps configure can have
a "--add-load-path /usr/local/share/guile" to make the install search
this, and this can be invoked by packaging systems that want it.  By

  ;; 5. Code for GUILE_SCHEME_DIR autoconf macro

This doesn't support the notion of putting things in
$(prefix)/share/guile, and adding that to the load path of the
existing guile when you do install.  Perhaps setting that up should be
a standard pre-step before building the new package, but I believe
that a package configured with --prefix=/usr/foo should only write to
/usr/foo.  I realize others disagree, but I'd like the mechanisms to
support this behavior.  perhaps the tag for /usr/foo/share/guile
should be /usr/foo, so packages can search for a load dir by their
prefix.  Perhaps there should be an optional argument that returns the
path now and causes creation of it at make install time.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>