Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:05:02 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> There were really two points in my message:
>>
>> 1.  Autoconf/Automake (and, consequently, the user) _must_ know about
>>     these three different directories, namely `guileschemedir',
>>     `guilelibdir' and `guileobjectdir', instead of only one directory
>>     (which you seem to be assuming when talking about
>>     `GUILE_SCHEME_DIR').
>>
>>     The mechanism you proposed is _needed_ to allow Guile to play well
>>     with Scheme source files installed in various directories -- in
>>     other words, your mechanism must translate various installation-time
>>     values of `guileschemedir' into a suitable run-time value of
>>     `%load-path'.  Your proposal is alright for this.

> Sorry, I'm not understanding how guilelibdir/guileobjectdir differ
> from (2).

You proposed a single M4 macro, `GUILE_SCHEME_DIR', which would provide
the user with the ability to customize only *one* installation
directory: the one were Scheme files will go.  In your scheme (as I
understand it), the other directories (the one for shared objects in
particular) are *imposed*: the user cannot change them.

What I'm saying in (1) is that the user should be able to choose these
two (or three) directories at installation time.

Thanks,
Ludovic.