Re: Modified load-path proposal

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Modified load-path proposal
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:16:42 +1000

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Also note that for Elisp files the recommended method is to use
> AM_PATH_LISPDIR, which will install Elisp files to wherever your Emacs
> is installed, not to $prefix.

I think there's some confusion here.

The automake docs read like AM_PATH_LISPDIR goes to wherever emacs is
installed, but looking at the code for that macro, and giving it a
run, I believe it merely chooses between

        $libdir/emacs/site-lisp
        $libdir/xemacs/site-lisp
        $datadir/emacs/site-lisp
        $datadir/xemacs/site-lisp

according to whether $EMACS load-path has /something/lib or
/something/share, and whether it's emacs or xemacs.

Ie. it always respects your $prefix, the choice is just what subdir of
there.  You'd be hard pressed to tell that from the doco though :-(.

I presume lib vs share is just about historical filesystem layout.
Byte code is machine-independent so no doubt share is the right place
these days.