Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: new slib and guile 1.6.7
Date: 30 Oct 2005 09:35:48 -0500

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I wondered if perhaps ice-9 slib was supposed to be like a proper
> module, giving an slib environment only in those application modules
> using it, and not when not used, if you know what I mean.

gnucash fails still, but it gets a lot further.  I think you are
right about the module system.  What I did  places the guile.init
bindings in the module that calls (use-modules (ice-9 slib)), and not
in the slib module, so that some other modules that does use-modules
will not get them - this is what happened in gnucash.

> To be the same as the slib documented startup then I think it has to
> load into the guile-user module, if that doesn't happen already.

If all modules inherit from guile-user, then that sounds right.  But
this would expose slib's require machinery to all guile programs, even
those that haven't asked for it, and that's not good.

I'll try again, and this time export the symbols from before plus the
new one that precipitated all this.
--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>