Re: Guile test libraries, regression testing and `make check'

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile test libraries, regression testing and `make check'
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:21:00 +0000

"Michael J. Barillier" <address@hidden> writes:

> The Guile source distribution has a test-suite directory that contains a
> script and library with procedures for running tests on the Guile
> library and REPL when `make check' is invoked.

Yes, indeed.

> Googling the web I found
> a v1.4 Guile manual
> <http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile/1.4.x/POSIX-Style-Testing.html> that
> at least implied this code was in ice-9 at some point but it's not there
> now.  Why was it removed?

This 1.4.x is an unofficial branch of Guile development that is
increasingly diverging from the official 1.6.x/1.7.x line.

> And, is there a suitable replacement so that a ``pragmatically
> efficient'' (i.e. lazy) hacker can quickly and easily create a test
> suite for a Guile library that runs under automake's `check' target?
> IMHO putting the code back in the set of installed files, or
> alternatively creating something like a `guile-test-suite' package,
> would be beneficial.

That sounds like an excellent idea, but it needs someone to be
slightly non-lazy to work out what is needed.  We can trivially change
the distro to install the (test-suite lib) module - would that be a
useful first step, and would you be willing to look into what else is
needed after that?

Regards,
        Neil