Re: mod_lisp for guile

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: mod_lisp for guile
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:07:36 +0000

Alan Grover <address@hidden> writes:

> I look forward to your work on the issue. :) I kind of like the
> lazy-list solution, but I've been infected by a pure-and-lazy
> programming language (Clean). I think some people call them generators.
>
> I'm liking the lazy-list idea more and more. It seems to work well with
> the tcp-socket listener pattern.

Hi Alan,

I'm just picking up my interest in this again, and I can't see why you
think the lazy list approach will be practical.  For two reasons:

1. If you are going to reuse the Apache socket (i.e. Keep-Socket: 1),
   you need to read, sooner or later, all the available data for the
   current request, so you might as well read it all upfront and then
   present it to the caller as an alist.

2. Even if you're not reusing the Apache socket, you don't know where
   a given header will be in the stream.  So the chances are your
   caller will have to read most of the available data anyway in order
   to find the headers that it is interested again.  So again, might
   as well read the whole lot upfront and provide a more convenient
   interface.

Have I missed something or misunderstood you?

Regards,
        Neil