Re: ANN: SDOM project development release 0.4

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: ANN: SDOM project development release 0.4
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:40:22 +0000

Julian Graham <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Neil,
>   Well, maybe I don't understand the question, but I'd say you could
> use SDOM pretty much anywhere you'd use, say, JDOM,

I'm afraid that doesn't help me much ... unless there are JDOM
applications that I could refer to as examples?

> but wanted to use
> Scheme instead of Java.  Granted, the most popular application of the
> DOM is in web browsers alongside (X)HTML, but I find it's quite handy
> for doing high-level manipulation of XML documents in general.

But isn't everything event-driven?  As in, execute so-and-so script on
so-and-so objects when I click on this link?  And in that case, don't
you need something that amounts to a web browser (or at least, an
HTML/XML page renderer) to exercise the DOM?

>  I know
> some people have strong feelings about the isomorphism between XML and
> S-expressions that SXML exploits and that SDOM kind of runs counter to
> that, but it also provides a few features that SSAX doesn't -- and
> that I needed for the projects I'm working on -- such as the event
> handling stuff and a stronger type system for XML nodes.

That's rather over my head, so definitely not a concern of mine :-)

Regards,
        Neil