Re: namespace of goops module

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: namespace of goops module
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:02:38 +0800

Clinton Ebadi <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> The GOOPS macros (e.g. define-method) are not hygenic, and are not
> evaluated in the defining module, but rather the current one.

Ah, it sounds as a good enhancement of hygenic macros over CL-sytle
macros. As guile provides both of them, sometimes i'm confused of which
one to use. Is it a good idea to use only hygenic macros? Anyway, R5RS
has defined only hygenic macros.

> The Guile module system does not (yet? Perhaps never since r6rs will
> have an incompatible module system that deals with such things, and
> there isn't much point to pushing the guile system except for
> compatibility after r6rs) deal with macros very well.

Ugh, so we have to wait...

ps. Supposed i defined a syntax `when', if i want to check out what
`when' is, either a function, macro, or syntax, like,

guile> when
ERROR: invalid syntax when
ABORT: (misc-error)
guile>

For several times at first, this made me think that i might have done
some wrong in the definition of `when', but i haven't actually. This
seems a little weird. Isn't it more intuitive to prompt, say,

guile> when
#<syntax! when>
guile>

Or is it also an undefined behaviour in the standards?

And, the rule of placing docstring at the first line in the definition
body, so as to be able to retrieve later by (help name), doesn't apply
to a syntax definition?

--
William