How to process stdin with Guile

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: How to process stdin with Guile
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:42:05 +0100

Hallöchen!

I have a more or less finished program which reads its instructions
from a script file with its own rather awkward syntax.  The plan is
to switch that script file format to Guile.

I started with the following snippet:

static void*
inner_main (void *closure)
{
#include "scripttest.x"
  scm_primitive_load (scm_from_locale_string("test.scm"));
  cout << "The End." << endl;
}

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  scm_with_guile (inner_main, 0);
  return 0;
}

This reads from the file test.scm, and it seems to work.  My
questions are:

1) Will the result from scm_from_locale_string() garbage-collected
   cleanly?  (Normally I use Python where such things don't work so
   automatically.  ;-)

2) Is there a better alternative to scm_primitive_load()?  The
   tutorial uses gh_something which is deprecated.  My concern is
   that the program should be able to read from stdin, too, and I
   question the protability of the file name "/dev/stdin".

Thanks!

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger, aquisgrana, europa vetus            ICQ 264-296-646