Re: newbie: read, load and eval

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: newbie: read, load and eval
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:34:15 -0700 (PDT)

Let's say you had a file "a.data" that contained

("This" "is" "a" "test")

Note that there is no initial quote.

One way would be

(display (read (open-input-file "a.data")))

but this doesn't explicity close the file "a.data" right after the call, which
might be an issue if you are opening a lot of files.

One step up could be

(call-with-input-file "a.data"  (lambda (p) (display (read p))))

This will explicity close the file after it is read.

Note that this specifically reads exactly one s-expression from the top of the
file, as you requested.  It might be simpler to have an "a.data" that contained
a bunch of (define) statements, like so

(define a '("This" "is" "a" "test"))

Then you could (load "a.data") that file, and the defined variables would be
available.

Hope this helps,

Mike Gran