Re: Creating Modules within C

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Creating Modules within C
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:34:01 +0100

Hi,

Volkan YAZICI <address@hidden> writes:

> Within scm_eval(), I need to use a very simple module:
>
>   (define-module ultra-complex-thingy #:pure)
>
> (Yeah, that's the complete source code of my module.) The problem is,
> how can I create and use that module within my C code, in scm_eval()?
> Any assistance will be really appreciated.

You could write a piece of Scheme to create the relevant module.
Namely, you could start with something like this:

  (let ((m (make-module)))
    (module-use-interfaces! m
                            (module-public-interface the-root-module)))

And then bind that to some variable accessible from C (or pass it to a
Scheme procedure written in C that will just store it in a C variable
that you can later access).

Most of the module system is written in Scheme, which is why using it
from C is not always convenient.  Also, large parts are undocumented but
one should try as much as possible to avoid using them in order to be
"future-proof".

Thanks,
Ludovic.