Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:34:43 -0800

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> No, I'd just like to see it happen.  I'd like to see more people
> using guile, as I think it would help the project, and I suspect
> that not having 1.8 in major distributions is likely to be a serious
> obstacle.

At this point Guile 1.8 should be in Debian, though for now I've set
it to build --without-threads (see the thread regarding the popen
problem).

With respect to SLIB, as mentioned, I was talking to Aubrey Jaffer,
and at the time it sounded like we might want to follow a different
approach in 1.8, one where each SLIB feature would have its own Guile
module with its own exports.  I didn't get far enough to verify, but
it sounded like SLIB might support enough introspection to allow us to
automate the modularization.

Since Guile 1.8 had just been released, and since SLIB had never been
supported by 1.8, it seemed like it might be a good time to consider
more substantial changes.  However, it's been a while, and as yet, I
haven't had a chance to pursue the issue much further.

So at this point, if someone else wants to investigate, that would be
great.  Also, there's no reason that we have to pursue the more
ambitious changes.  For now, if no one has time to investigate the
modular approach, we could attempt to do something more like what we
did in 1.6.

In that case, we should replace the 1.8 ice-9/slib.scm with a version
like the one in 1.6 (or one even simpler), and continue to work with
the SLIB upstream to alter guile.init there as appropriate.

Ideally the 1.8 slib.scm should look like this:

  (define-module (ice-9 slib))
  (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")

Hope this helps
--