Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:36:35 -0500

  So at this point, if someone else wants to investigate, that would be
  great.  Also, there's no reason that we have to pursue the more
  ambitious changes.  For now, if no one has time to investigate the
  modular approach, we could attempt to do something more like what we
  did in 1.6.

  In that case, we should replace the 1.8 ice-9/slib.scm with a version
  like the one in 1.6 (or one even simpler), and continue to work with
  the SLIB upstream to alter guile.init there as appropriate.

  Ideally the 1.8 slib.scm should look like this:

    (define-module (ice-9 slib))
    (load-from-path "slib/guile.init")

I concur, but 1.8.0 has been out for a very long time, and stable
branches aren't the right place to make 'more ambititious changes'.
So the only reasonable approaches are:

  withdraw 1.8 and abandon the branch, and cut a new stable branch
  later (this isn't that reasonable, really)

  fix the 1.8 branch (and head if it's not ) by applying the above
  fix, and release a new 1.8.x