Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: any news on 1.8 and slib?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:13:11 -0800

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> I concur, but 1.8.0 has been out for a very long time, and stable
> branches aren't the right place to make 'more ambititious changes'.

Since 1.8 had never supported SLIB, at least they wouldn't have been
backward incompatible changes (within a stable release series), but I
was also just investigating.  I didn't even get to the point where I
had a clear idea about how the changes might look.

>   fix the 1.8 branch (and head if it's not ) by applying the above
>   fix, and release a new 1.8.x

I'm not sure the above fix will be sufficient, but if it is, that's
fine.  If I recall correctly, the original problem was that 1.8 had
changed in ways that caused problems with SLIB.  So I started going
through guile.init to see what it was doing.

It could be that the upstream guile.init is now sufficient, but I
suspect that it may still need some changes.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu