Re: version difference

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: version difference
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:01:31 +0100

matt <address@hidden> writes:

> At one point, I was getting an error that read-line wasn't defined.
> I'm not sure why, but now I'm no longer getting those errors, but

Well for read-line you should have

  (use-modules (ice-9 rdelim))

at the top of your script.  I think that might have been implicit in
1.6, but in 1.8 it's required.

> instead getting the following:
>
> ERROR: In procedure list-ref:
> ERROR: Argument 2 out of range: 1

I'd guess something has gone wrong with reading the data, so the
length of parlines is less than 2.  Try adding

  (write parlines)
  (newline)

to your code temporarily, to find out what parlines is when this
happens.

> I found a several old posts about a previous breakage of read-line,
> but that was back in Guile 1.3.  I'm pretty confused about the
> difference between readline and read-line, and the manual didn't help
> clarify that.

readline means read a line using the GNU Readline library - with
command-line editing and all.

read-line means just read characters until a \n is seen.

(Which seems simple enough, but then there's also the possibility of
using read-line on an input port that is set up to use GNU Readline
for all its input...  For such an input port, readline and read-line
will have equivalent effects, I think.)

Regards,
        Neil