Re: set-current-module in .guile ?

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: set-current-module in .guile ?
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:00:40 -0400

Hi Scott,
Can you for some reason not use use-modules?
Regards,
Jon

Scott N. Walck wrote:
Dear Guilers,

Dan Gildea has ported a large fraction of Gerry Sussman's scmutils
code from MIT-scheme to guile.  In doing so, he uses guile modules
instead of MIT-scheme environments.  Much of the code creates a module
called "generic-environment".  In an interactive guile session, you
type

(set-current-module generic-environment)

and this redefines "+", for example, to add functions and vectors.

I would like to know if there is a way to set the interactive
environment to "generic-environment" in a .guile file.  If I put

(set-current-module generic-environment)

in a .guile file, it does nothing.  (I suppose because the current
module when reading the .guile file is different from the current
module in an interactive guile session?)

I would like to use this guile-scmutils with physics students, and I
would like to hide from them the need to execute

(set-current-module generic-environment)

in an interactive session.  Of course, I could pre-load

(define start
  (lambda ()
    (set-current-module generic-environment)))

in a .guile file or with the -l option, and then students would only
need to type

(start)

but it's still awkward, and it's a detail that I don't want to have to
explain to them.

I would appreciate any suggestions that folks might have.

Scott