Re: request to shutdown projects

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: request to shutdown projects
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:22:50 -0400

> From: address@hidden (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=)
>
> Hi,

Thank you for explaining this.  I have been subscribed
to the guile-user list for more than a decade, but have
not recently been keeping up with developments otherwise.

I was confused by this message, which appeared on
guile-user in response (it now seems) to discussions
in some other forum.  As I tried to figure it out
I found more things I did not understand and began
to have fun with paranoia.

> Keith Wright <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: "Marco Maggi" <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> <http://download.gna.org/mcl/not-forever/gee.tar>
> >>
> >> It is telling that nobody stepped out saying "I have a copy of the
> >> source, let's find a place to host it", mh?
> >
> > I don't know about telling, but I am asking
> > why the Subject: header says "Re: <new subject>"?

> Ludovic again:
>
> This thread:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.bugs/3847
>
> > What's in the tar file?
>
> GEE, a collection of Guile bindings to various useful libraries that
> Marco has abandoned *and* removed from the web (well, until this
> message).

I had never even heard of GEE, and at first read this
as "GEE WHIZ don't you know that it's a...

In fact, in case anyone else is as confused as I am,
know that GEE is the name of the library, and gna.org
is a French GNU-like website and source code repository.

> > What have you done to Marco?
>
> See https://gna.org/support/?1913 .
>
> (Which is not a reason to be angry at Guile users IMO...)

It seems that Marco now prefers a different version
of Scheme.  I don't see how anyone could be angry with
Guile users (as a group and for this reason).  At worst
they are dupes.

This whole snafu does raise some questions about
portability of Scheme programs between implementations,
which I will ask in a separate message if I can
figure out just what they are.

  -- Keith