Re: Closure?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Closure?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:11:09 +0200

On Tue 15 Jul 2008 09:59, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I agree.  I can't see a reason why we might want to remove
>> `the-environment' and `local-eval', even if Guile's internal
>> representation of environments changes, because the ideas that there
>> _is_ a lexical environment inside a lambda (or a let ...), and that
>> one can evaluate with respect to these environments, are absolutely
>> fundamental in Scheme.
>
> Agreed.  I just said the *representation* of closures could change.

You can determine exactly what should be in the lexical environments at
compile-time; thus you can allocate a fixed structure of variables to
hold the lexicals. I suppose that in theory, you might be able to
implement an augmentable `the-environment' in guile-vm, but I do not
plan on doing so myself.

Or maybe so, I do have some old code I want to get back to at some
point...
http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/docs/tutorial/a-few-notes-on-music/a-new-vocabulary/

Andy
--