./configure cannot compute sizeof errors in guile 1.8.x

From: Dan Gerstein
Subject: ./configure cannot compute sizeof errors in guile 1.8.x
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:21:56 -0700

Hello,

After a lot of serious web searching and trying everything I could think of, I thought I'd ask you guys for help. On my Nokia n810, guile fails to ./configure with an error complaining it cannot compute sizeof (char). Removing that line from the configure script will cause it to fail on the next sizeof block as well. My config.log can be found here: http://pastebin.com/m170f24b2

I saw a related issue earlier on the list, but my ld.so.conf contains the path where libltdl was installed (/usr/local/lib), and LD_LIBRARY_PATH also has /usr/local/lib. I am trying to compile autogen, which requires guile from the 1.8.x series - guile 1.6.x does not have this issue.

I also tried autoreconf, and it allowed the configure script to continue, but it echoed that all the 'sizeof's were 0, which struck me as a bad thing, and also seemed to stop 'make' in its tracks as well.

I'm sorry if i'm not terribly familiar with the (auto)configure process, so I feel like I'm making a stupid mistake. Any ideas?

   Thank you!
- Dan