Re: SOS: Simple Object System

From: David Séverin
Subject: Re: SOS: Simple Object System
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:58:35 -0300

Le Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:04:51 +0200,
"Maciek Godek" <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Note however that both these languages were invented to address
> the particular needs of OOP and as such are well suited for that purpose
> (or at least that's what the most people think. CLOS is rarely used
> compared to C++ and Java -- can you explain why?)

also because people in command sometimes have fear to take their
responsability: here in Rio de Janeiro, 2 years ago, at PUC University, the
scheme course has been canceled [for ever] because ... students didn't
want to be  teached scheme anymore ?!?

        so, 18 years old kids now decide what they should be teached at
        university level ... and guess what they 'quasy all' want ...

this leads to a very 'dangerous' standardization of computer technique skills
available at industrial level, lack of creativity [creativity is the rule, not
the execption, but people need to be motivated and teached to trust themselves
they are creative, and in our field, computer science, scheme is [also but can
not be reduced to this only off course] an excellent creativity trigger.

in my original town in Belgium, Ouindoze offered [24 years ago] that the
operating system course at university be based on their system [fortunatly this
was refused] then they would offer the material and licenses ... so that
'people would already be ready to work when quitting university' and would not
need training when they start working ... blabla cost effective for the
society ... blabla blablabla

it's like wine: big companies purchased small ones, private small wine
producer, and converted the taste of the small producer to the standard taste,
result: you here in the population, that the wine is good if it taste like the
others [and they now and since may years already change the taste chemically]

david