Re: guile-db

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: guile-db
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:11:31 +0000

Quoth Greg Troxel <address@hidden>:
>   but...
>
>   "To build Guile-PG you need to have installed both the PostgreSQL
>    frontend library libpq, and a version of Guile that can load binary
>    module (a b c) from file a/b/c.so or a/b/c/libc.la under `%load-path'."
>
>   I believe the last bit means it'll work with guile-1.4 or guile-1.6
>   (because the ability was only deprecated at this stage), but guile-1.8
>   definitely no longer has this ability.
>
> True, but to make this work in 1.8 you just have to write a single .scm
> file for the module which loads the shlib and re-exports all the right
> symbols.  And maybe a little else, but I am pretty sure not much.

Easy for a C programmer no doubt, but not so easy for a lowly scripter
like myself.

ttn's convenience modules are no doubt useful, but perhaps a higher
priority for the future of Guile and Postgres is to update the
'standard' guile-pg (currently shipped by Debian depending on guile-1.6)
so that it no longer depends on 1.6 and ceases to use procedures
deprecated under 1.8.

At the moment, there is no out-of-the-box guile-1.8/guile-pg solution,
which strikes me as unfortunate.

ttn notes that he took over maintainership of guile-pg from the author
Ian Grant in 1999.

I've written to Sam Hocevar (the Debian package maintainer of guile-pg)
to see who he believes the upstream maintainer to be).

Seb