Re: Guile release planning

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: Guile release planning
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:44:42 -0600

2008/11/10 Neil Jerram <address@hidden>:

> I also think it will help us manage API incompatibilities better.  I
> think our default position from now on should be to maintain
> source-level (API) compatibility, but it is inevitable that there will
> be exceptions to this.

Any ideas for binary compatibility for the "micro" revisions?
I recently discovered that a library compiled against 1.8.3
would core dump when used with an application compiled
against 1.8.5.  Operationally, not a big deal, really; I just
recompiled the lib, but emotionally, it did give me that
sinking feeling for a while, of maybe having  yet another
hard-to-find bug, or a  system I cannot fully trust. :-(

>  the steady new feature model is better.

The linux kernel got rid of the stable/unstable branch idea,
and it's worked really really well. (the reasons why are
widely documented) I'm for it.

--linas