Re: Issues using statprof (no samples taken)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Issues using statprof (no samples taken)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:31:02 +0100

Hello,

Boris Zbarsky <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with using statprof.  I checked it out
> from CVS (:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/guile
> CVSROOT, guile/guile-statprof module).  I left it in the checkout
> tree, and am using GUILE_LOAD_PATH to point to the files.

Beware, Guile's CVS repository is no longer used, so software in there
is essentially unmaintained.

As far as `statprof' is concerned, I would recommend using the one
available in Guile-Lib, since it's been maintained there for some time:
http://home.gna.org/guile-lib/ .  I've used it successfully with 1.8 in
the past.

> I am using guile 1.6.8 on Mac OS X, installed via Macports.

Is there any particular reason why you don't use 1.8.x?

> Any ideas as to where I should look for what's going on here and why
> no samples are being taken?  Could it have something to do with the
> way guile is loaded by the gnucash binary?  Or with something the
> binary itself is doing?

Can you check whether SIGPROF is actually delivered and whether
`profile-signal-handler' gets called, e.g., by adding a `(display
"foo\n")' call there?

Thanks,
Ludo'.