Re: Dynamic variable binding

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: Dynamic variable binding
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:58:38 -0500

Sebastian Tennant wrote:
Quoth address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès):
Dynamic binding definition is compilation-unfriendly.  Kjetil's
proposed `define-lotsof' macro is more appropriate, as it can be fully
evaluated at compile-time (should a compiler be used, that is),
whereas the `module-define!' trick requires that compilation and
execution be the one and same phase.

Ah, interesting.  Noted.  Thanks again (to Kjetil also).

Furthermore, the lack of separation between what is compiled and what is executed causes problems with defining a module system that understands hygiene. It took me a while to understand this, but finally sitting down and grokking Matthew Flatt's paper "Compilable and Composable Macros: You Want it When?" got it through my skull.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.11.4008

Regards,
Jon