Re: Error reporting

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Error reporting
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 06:18:59 +0000

Quoth Jon Wilson <address@hidden>:
> If this is added, I'd very much recommend including a way to turn it
> off (or more likely to turn it on), as extra noise in error messages
> generally comes at the price of quick understanding.  Most of the
> time, timestamps aren't needed, so, except when they are, they are
> noise.

Of course.  I was hoping for an environment variable which would need to
be set, something like GUILE_ERROR_TIMESTAMPS_ON.

Guile is my web application scripting language of choice.  As a result,
I have dozens of scripts that can be called at any given moment and any
Guile errors appear in my webserver's error log.  If Guile errors
included a timestamp, I'd be able to tell which page, and therefore
which script, caused the error, by conslting the access logs (which
already include timestamp information).

I can of course configure my webserver so that it writes one log per
domain, which will help, but error timestamps would be the ultimate
solution.

Sebastian