Re: guile history: your input needed!

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: guile history: your input needed!
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:40:17 +0000

2008/11/21 Sebastian Tennant <address@hidden>:

> It will help different people in different ways and no doubt there are
> some, like yourself, whom it won't help at all.
>
> Personally, I appreciate histories most when I'm new to a subject (for
> obvious reasons) but a good history makes interesting reading at any
> stage of understanding IMHO.  In fact, I can't think of anything that
> makes me feel more comfortable in a new environment than a concise and
> well written history covering all the major stages of development.

OK, understood.  I guess we should have it then.  But the problem is
that - as Andy has said in his response - so many people know Guile
mainly as "the project that RMS started because of the Tcl war", and I
don't think we should encourage that view.

It's partly true, of course, but that can't reasonably be our raison
d'être today.

Incidentally, I do have reason for believing that it isn't completely
true.  At least one person - me - had exchanged email with RMS prior
to that, along the lines of "Hey, this Emacs Lisp stuff is so great,
we really ought to have an extension language like that for _all_
applications..."  And I expect others had had similar
thoughts/discussions.

> We do want new users don't we?

Yes, definitely.

Regards,