Re: guile history: your input needed!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile history: your input needed!
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:32:51 +0100

Hey Neil,

On Sun 23 Nov 2008 10:40, "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, understood.  I guess we should have it then.  But the problem is
> that - as Andy has said in his response - so many people know Guile
> mainly as "the project that RMS started because of the Tcl war", and I
> don't think we should encourage that view.
>
> It's partly true, of course, but that can't reasonably be our raison
> d'être today.
>
> Incidentally, I do have reason for believing that it isn't completely
> true.  At least one person - me - had exchanged email with RMS prior
> to that, along the lines of "Hey, this Emacs Lisp stuff is so great,
> we really ought to have an extension language like that for _all_
> applications..."  And I expect others had had similar
> thoughts/discussions.

Well, this should be part of our story then! By letting others tell our
story we lose this bit.

(I think the story is one of development and not of fighting btw;
calling it the Tcl wars accepts a militaristic idea of how people work
together, which is not what motivates me. I suspect the same is true
with you.)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/