Re: r6rs libraries

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: r6rs libraries
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:40:49 +0100

Hello and happy new year!  :-)

"Julian Graham" <address@hidden> writes:

> * I think it'd be possible to implement R6RS "import levels" using
> Guile's existing #:export, #:export-syntax, #:reexpport, and
> #:reexport-syntax keywords -- if it weren't for the `(meta <level>)'
> option for import specifiers.  It might still be possible, given the
> allowances of section 7.2.  I don't know, I'm still trying to figure
> that out.

The problem is that Guile has *no* phase separation whatsoever: macros
are evaluated at run-time, in the same environment as actual code that's
executed.

This is different in the `vm' branch where, of course, macros are
expanded at compile-time in a compile-time environment.  However, I
don't think the compiler supports phase specifiers in `define-module'
(e.g., `#:export-syntax' and `#:use-syntax' to export/import for
compile-time, etc.).  Andy?

Thanks,
Ludo'.