Re: r6rs libraries

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: r6rs libraries
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:21:31 -0500

> Neither Dybvig & Ghuloum's nor van Tonder's library implementations do
> multiple instantiation, AFAIK. PLT's is the only one that does.

Sort of pursuant to this, I'm looking at André van Tonder's
implementation with an eye towards modifying it to convert R6RS
library definitions to Guile module definitions at load time.  (I find
his pitch [1] for his code over the Dybvig-Ghuloum implementation
compelling -- plus the code is an order of magnitude smaller.)

One small thing I noticed while playing around is that he uses
`scheme-report-environment' for looking up certain R5RS functions, but
that function isn't available in Guile outside of the REPL without
doing `(use-modules (ice-9 r5rs))' first.  This limitation has been
acknowledged before [2]; any reason this module isn't loaded all the
time?

Regards,
Julian

[1] - http://lists.r6rs.org/pipermail/r6rs-discuss/2007-October/003387.html