Re: xchat-guile and threads

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: xchat-guile and threads
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:41:56 +0000

2009/1/21 Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <address@hidden>:
> Hi all!
>   I am looking back at the code i wrote[1] some years back and I
> don't seem to recall why i did somethings the way i did. One thing
> that i can't remember is why I am doing threads and locking in there.
> Given some thought, i called reading python plugin code a bit before
> writing xchat-guile so i looked at the source and found this comment:
[...]
>  So in those very early days of my flying lessons, I might have just
> assumed I need to do the same in guile plugin as well.

That sounds believable to me.  Guile definitively doesn't have
anything like a global interpreter lock; in theory it is possible to
call the SCM API concurrently from as many threads as you like, and
libguile will use fine-grained locks to protect anything that needs
protecting.  In practice, however, there are probably some bugs
lurking...

It's better overall if we find and fix those bugs.  However, just in
case they become unmanageable, you might want to keep your global lock
around as a fallback,

Regards,
       Neil