Guile and SLIB

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Guile and SLIB
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:49:54 -0600

I am trying to get guile 1.8.6 to work (use) slib so that the
following configure test for gnucash (www.gnucash.org) works:

  guile -c "(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'printf)"

When I do that, I get:

ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/share/slib/mklibcat"

When I try to build a new catalog I get:

standard input:1:1: In expression (require (quote new-catalog)):
standard input:1:1: Unbound variable: require

How do I get out of this infinite loop?

One way may be the 'Template.scm' file which the slib README describes thusly:

  `Template.scm' Example configuration file.  Copy and customize to
        reflect your system.

But I can't find what that means.  There is already a 'guile.init'
file which has some of the same things in it, but the template files
seems to have the sllb:features definitions that are missing.
Instructions for guile do not have any instructions for guile
initialization files that I can find.

So the queston is: What should the Template.scm files be copied to and
where should it go.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'm not the only one (see
the gnucash mailinglist).

Thanks so much.

-Tom

Tom Browder