Re: guile-lib changes

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile-lib changes
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:18:41 +0100

Hi,

On Tue 27 Jan 2009 21:55, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I think Guile-Lib should check whether [modules] are available at
> configure-time and install them iff they are not already available.

I'd rather just require a specific version of 1.8.5... Anyway, if you
want to do this, once the savannah thing goes through I'll add you to
the project :)

> Besides, SRFI-35 is broken (see
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=skribilo.git;a=blob;f=m4/guile.m4)

This kind of thing is what I'd like to avoid. Users won't notice the
difference if a newer guile-lib requires the latest release of a
specific stable series, since stable series are compatible.

>>  (2) I removed (math rationalize), as its core functionality,
>>      `rationalize', has been in Guile since 1.8.
>
> Maybe it should be left there for compatibility, and just re-export the
> procedure?  Same for `(container queue)'.

(math rationalize) also had unclear licensing, so I'm inclined to keep
it out. (container queue) was never documented -- but doing a google
code search finds one user... (container async-queue). So I should
probably add it back then, sigh...

I really don't want to be in the position of being "responsible" for
poorly documented modules.

>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.guile-lib.devel/454

Pushed out to http://wingolog.org/git/guile-lib.git, still waiting for
the asynchronous project start on savannah...

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/