Re: Transcoder library

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Transcoder library
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:24:08 +0200

Hi Mike,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> R6RS describes a transcoder library that converts locale strings to
> codepoints and back.  I put together something that is like the
> library described in R6RS.

That's good news!

> Basically, one would create a transcoder like this...
>
> (define TC (make-transcoder "UTF-8"))

It's nice you already have a first stab at this API.

> ... and then use it either to read codepoints from encoded files ...
>
> (read-codepoint PORT TC)
> (write-codepoint CODEPOINT PORT TC)

That would be roughly equivalent to the procedures in R6RS Section
8.2.9, right?

> ... or convert to/from vectors of codepoints ...
>
> (locale-string->u32vector STRING TC)
> (u32vector->locale-string U32VECTOR TC)

FWIW, I implemented the `string->utf*' and `utf*->string' procedures in
Guile-R6RS-Libs [0,1] using the relevant Gnulib modules.  I'm planning
to integrate it in Guile `master' at some point; would that be helpful
to you to put it all together?

Thanks,
Ludo'.

[0] http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guile/guile-r6rs-libs-0.1.tar.gz