Checking for guile from configure -- forward compat.

From: Peter TB Brett
Subject: Checking for guile from configure -- forward compat.
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:45:10 +0100

Hi everyone,

Currently, there appear to be two ways to check for the presence of
Guile:

  PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GUILE, [guile-1.8])

Or:

  GUILE_FLAGS

Unfortunately, the first of these *only* works for Guile 1.8 -- so if
some has, at some point in the future, Guile 2.x, we'll have to add
some m4 magic for sequentially trying 1.8 and every valid x for 2.x.

On the other hand, GUILE_FLAGS uses the guile-config tool, which IIRC is
going to go away Soon (tm).

What would you recommend as the Right Way to check for Guile 1.8.0 or
later in my configure script and set the appropriate flags, in a
forward-compatible way?  Or am I just going to have to write a pile of
crufty m4/shell?

Thanks in advance,

                                       Peter

--