Re: searching book tips

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: searching book tips
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:37:33 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> We learn C# at school... and I'd like to write beautiful free
> software. However, I'm still a bloody beginner. So could you give me
> please some nice book tips about C, C++ and of course Guile? It
> would be sooo awesome.

AFAIK, C# is quite different from C or C++.  It is my understanding
that it is closer to Objective-C or Smalltalk.  Don't be misled by the
syntax, what matters is the semantics.  That said I don't know
anything about C# so I may be wrong.

Probably the most effective thing  you can do to learn how to write
beautiful software, is to study SICP:

SICP   = Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
         http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-4.html
         http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

http://www.codepoetics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Topics:SICP_in_other_languages
         http://eli.thegreenplace.net/category/programming/lisp/sicp/
         http://www.neilvandyke.org/sicp-plt/

As you may note with the link SICP_in_other_languages, SICP is not
specifically about scheme (it just happen to use scheme for the
examples and exercises since it's a little language that's easy to
learn).