Re: Give up Guile

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: Give up Guile
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 14:38:44 -0500

On 2 September 2010 10:44, Shenli Zhu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Everyone knows a good debugger is very important, PLT-scheme have one-click
> "Debug",

Can someone describe what it is that the PLT/MIT scheme debuggers do?
Are any of these portable to guile?  If not, why not .. license incompatibility?
Or are they just too wedded to internal implementation?

Some people seem to really like debuggers, so it would be reasonable for guile
to have something at least passable.  (Personally, I rarely use debuggers, they
never seem worth the effort, and don't provide me with much insight, or make
anything easier. Maybe I think different than other people, or maybe I've never
used a good debugger before. But clearly, they can be important...)

> and gdb has very simple commands,

? What does gdb have to do with it? Last I looked, gdb and scheme were utterly
incompatible; am I missing something?

> instrumenting Emacs function you
> can trace it easily.

?What does emacs have to do with it?