Re: Backquote simplification

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Backquote simplification
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 00:25:19 +0000

Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes:

> The reply I got was helpful, but I decided to settle for a macro
> implementation:
>
> (use-syntax (ice-9 syncase))
>
> (define-syntax tuple
>   (syntax-rules ()
>     ((tuple xs ...)
>      `(tuple ,xs ...))
>     ((tuple x1 x2 . y)
>      (append `(tuple ,x1 ,x2) y))
>     ((tuple x1 . y)
>      (append `(tuple ,x1) y))
> ))

OK, I roughly see that this solves your problem of wanting to unquote an
arbitrary number of list elements.  (Although I don't understand why you
need to do that.)

> It behaves as I want in my context, a functional language on top of
> Guile.

Scheme is already a functional language, isn't it?

> I decided to implement the construct (lambda (x_1 ... x_k . y)
> f)

What syntax is that expression in?  In Scheme syntax, it's a lambda that
returns a value that is apparently unrelated to any of the arguments,
and so could equally well be written as (lambda ignored-args f).

> using an improper list (x_1 ... x_k . y); when it is a proper list,
> one just gets the fixed number of arguments construct.
>
> Then the object (x_1 ... x_k . y) also become available, so it is
> possible to form
>   (define f (lambda (x_1 ... x_k . y) (x_1 ... x_k . y)))

How is this different from

  (define f (lambda args args))

?

> Then one would expect f(a_1, ..., a_n), for n >= k, to be (a_1, ...,
> a_n) - this a form of the identity.
>
> So to get this effect, I need a function g that can call improper
> lists (g x_1, ..., x_k . y), where y is a list.

As Dan pointed out, that is not an improper list.  It's a proper list.

In the hope that these questions might be useful to at least one of us...

        Neil