Re: reminder: read NEWS

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: reminder: read NEWS
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:05:06 +0100

On 30 Jan 2011, at 13:20, Andy Wingo wrote:

I have noticed a number of questions coming across the list that almost seem to indicate that folks have not read the NEWS. I know this cannot
be the case!  ;)

However if you're just jumping on the 2.0 train, take an hour or so out
of your hacking to review the NEWS file.  It is long, but should be
exhaustive.  If it's not, let us know.  We'll be preparing a more
condensed version for the release notes, but the long format is the most
informative.

Since there are some significant changes between 1.8 and 2.0, perhaps the manual might have a special section listing them. Searching the 1.9 GIT manual for "1.8" indicates that this information is currently mainly given in a few footnotes.

In the case Guile is used as a library (as in LilyPond), their users might consult the manual at need, but I suspect not the NEWS file.