Re: Neat hacks for a birthday

From: Atom X
Subject: Re: Neat hacks for a birthday
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:49:39 -0800

> Hello Guilers!
>
> Next week, on February 16th, is the first anniversary of Guile 2.0!

“… [A]nd from the shimmering lake of parens rose a Scheme, small yet
strong, bestowing upon the righteous the gift of Elegance and the power
to tame the mighty beast known as C.  And the devout did embrace this
gift and called it by the name of Guile, for it is truly a cunning
Scheme.”

> Like all great events, it ought to be celebrated.

Hear! Hear!

> So, here’s a suggestion: let’s write neat hacks that integrate Guile
> with some other piece of software, preferably GNU packages.  Examples
> include extending GCC or GDB extension in Guile, work on Mike’s
> Zile-on-Guile, enhanced Guile support in GNU Make, and Hurd file systems
> written in Guile.
>
> Of course, like all quick hacks, these will essentially be proofs of
> concept, but hey, perhaps some will eventually become actual software
> packages?

A worthy goal!  The more Guile is used in the wild, the closer we'll be
to world peace.

> If you’re up to the challenge, you’re welcome to announce your intent
> here.  On Feb. 16th, we’ll collect the list of neat hacks and let the
> world know!

I’m in!  Details below.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
>
> PS: I personally intend to come up with a simple GCC plug-in interface
>     for Guile.  Let’s see how it goes…

I’ve been working sporadically on a Guile binding to the GPGME[1]
library, with the hope that it will encourage others to integrate both
Guile and privacy features into their software.  At this time
GPGME/Guile (read as “GPGME-with-Guile") is not in a pretty (or
functional!) state, but I've put it up on Github[2] both as a means of
sharing and as a motivator to get to work.  I don't want any shoddy code
to be marring my public image, after all.

With that, I hope to have something worth showing in six days.  Till
then!

-- Atom X
   http://deadlyhead.com

[1]http://www.gnupg.org/related_software/gpgme/