Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:37:53 -0800 (PST)

> From: Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <address@hidden>
>

>Do you plan to write everything on guile? is it possible?

I don't plan on writing everything in Guile, but, it is possible.

Zile only depends on the Ncurses libraries.  There are Guile
bindings for Ncurses. So I have everything I would need.

I have written programs like Zile completely in Guile
Scheme a couple of times.  I have a couple of prototypes.
But there are a couple of challenges.

- Ncurses programs are annoying to debug, since they try to
  write to the screen that you are using.  There are ways to
  work around that, though.

- The Guile debugger is okay, but, it isn't great.  Sometimes,
  the debugger can't tell you where the error is in your source
  code.  So, it can be hard to use on programs with many files.

Regards,

Mike