Re: GNU Guile community in google+

From: zx spectrumgomas
Subject: Re: GNU Guile community in google+
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:24:03 +0100

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
> zx spectrumgomas <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> *** I just subscribed to this list a couple of days ago, with the hope I
>>> can find some time to learn Guile. I find this initiative interestingly
>>> clueless.
>>
>> I've been following the list of guile about a year. If you had
>> followed it  I assure you that you would not see so clueless. (from
>> the viewpoint of a newbie)
>
> This is an appeal to authority.  Here you are essentially saying "I have
> more experience reading this mailing list, so trust me, I know better."
>
> The archives of this mailing list are archived publicly, so anyone (even
> newcomers) can read the same messages you've read during the last year:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/
>
> Your assertion above requires justification, and you have not provided
> one.  How do the messages of the last year support your argument?
> Everyone here has access to the same evidence that you do, and you can
> provide links to the relevant messages.

In my opinion, the problem is not these forums. People are very
friendly here and
they always answer. In fact, I would ask doubts here, it's the
suitable place. The problem is that it is ONLY a forum. It isn't a
Planet.

I think that everyone has understand me before. In fact, Libre Planet
has been suggested. (I do not know create a Libre Planet).

What do the newbies in the forum? Do we say that "I has done 2.4 SICP
exercise"? People will say, rightly, in the forum "Very well, What do
you want, a gift?" However, for other newbies may be important.

The forum works great to answer, but not as blog. In fact, the only
one who is doing a great job in this sense is Andy Wingo, but not for
newbies.

> hellekin <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Seeking to attract a mass of users may seem like "a good thing" (TM),
>>> but really, what you want to do is produce your contents on a site that
>>> won't even *try* to spy on their users. If you produce your contents on
>>> G+, many Guile users simply won't benefit from them. One could argue
>>> that people not knowing Guile may come to know it and use it from that
>>> initiative, but in the end, it will only deflect people from the
>>> official community channels, and be harmful.
>
> Well said.
>
>> I think you're overestimating a google+ account for newbies: if what
>> you say happened, GNU Guile's official forums already had a problem
>> before Google+ account.
>
> This reply does not even begin to address the issues raised by hellekin.
>
> If there's a problem with the official forums, let's talk about that.
> What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> Let's work together to find a solution that does not hand the keys of
> our community to a for-profit corporation, and that respects users'
> rights, such as the right to participate anonymously.
>
>      Mark

I did not say that my proposal be ideal in regard to this. Obviously
it's true what you say in that paragraph above. But I do not know
another solution. if anyone has a better solution I would love to hear
it