Re: GNU Guile community in google+

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: GNU Guile community in google+
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:11:29 -0500

zx spectrumgomas <address@hidden> writes:
> Honestly, if you do not see that social networks are essential to the
> success of a project nowadays I'm sure you have more than 30 years. I
> have 40 and I have not used social networking until + / - 2 years, but
> it's amazing the amount of information/opinion is moving there. For
> the forties this may not be a problem, but look where teenagers are:
> watching their timeline on a android or apple. GNU Guile doesn't
> capture attention of all those people, and if not remedied GNU Guile
> will age. With all due respect Andy Wingo and Ludovic Courtes will not
> live forever.

Even if what you say is true, we must still reject the centralized
social networking sites.  That issue is incomparably more important than
the popularity of GNU Guile.  It is no exaggeration to say that freedom
of thought is at stake.  Watch Eben Moglen's speech to understand why:

http://archive.org/details/EbenMoglen-WhyFreedomOfThoughtRequiresFreeMediaAndWhyFreeMedia

I would much rather work toward a future with freedom of thought but no
GNU Guile than a future with GNU Guile but without freedom of thought.

Please remember that the purpose of the GNU operating system (of which
Guile is one component) is to help achieve freedom for computer users.
It makes no sense to abandon freedom in order to help promote GNU.

     Mark