Re: GNU Guile community in google+

From: zx spectrumgomas
Subject: Re: GNU Guile community in google+
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:14:56 +0100

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't entirely understand what everyone here wants, but there are reasons
> besides company control to avoid proprietary networking sites like Google+.
> Since it will never be the case that all Guilers have an account on Google+
> (or Facebook, or whatever else), a group there could only ever include part
> of the community. Especially in a community as small as Guile's, I'd like to
> see a solution that includes everyone.
>
> However, there clearly is a desire for some new forum for Guilers to talk to
> each other. It appears, based on
> https://www.google.com/search?q=make+a+blog+aggregator , that the software
> to set a blog aggregator up is free (and Free). There's an LWN article on
> how to set one up. There is also a WordPress plugin, hosted here:
> http://feedwordpress.radgeek.com/ .
>
> A wiki might also be useful. If so, let's agree to use the one at
> libreplanet.org (or something similar), so that the Guile wiki notes will
> all be in one place and can easily be found.
>
> Thanks,
> Noah

Yes, blog aggregator would improve official forums. It is a good idea.
But, as I said to Ludovic Courtès would lack the casual component of
social networks. As I said I will see if Diaspora works well tonight
and It has communities.

A wiki might also be useful, but in my opinion much less than the blog
aggregator, because GNU Guile manual is great. Much work is well done
there. Wiki would use for small details missing in manual, this for
example:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=41a9e8829c1720da01f3bd471552688806478a51
 or examples for newbies. But that's a lot of work and it is better to
focus on making these improvements to the manual as Andy Wingo is
doing.